Juried Shows

These three pieces sold in the Northwest Museum of Arts & Culture  juried exhibit and art auction fundraiser, November, 2014

Digital Painting Corel Painter 12

Acryilc on Canson CanvaPaper

Acrylic on Canson CanvaPaper

"Along the Hillside" and "Buffalo Ford WInter" were accepted to the Winter online show of the Artists' Association of Northern Colorado Dec. 5 - 31, 2014

Digital painting Corel Painter 12

Digitial Painting Corel Painter 12

"River Rocks", accepted to the Elk River Area Arts Alliance 20th Annual Arts in Harmony Int'l Show, Feb. 2 - March 26, 2015.

Digital painting Corel Painter x3

"Summer in the Sapphire Foothills", accepted to the WaterWorks Art Museum 36th Annual Juried Exhibit, Miles City, Montana,  Jan. 24 - March 6, 2015.

Watercolor on Arches paper 9" x 12"

"Raven Chatter" accepted to the juried Crow Show at The Studio Door, San Diego, CA, Feb. 6 - 28, 2015

Digital painting Corel Painter X3

Summer, a long time coming, but quick to leave.

Between hot summer weather and a sore back, the dogs and I have done very little hiking lately. Yesterday it had cooled off, so before the rain clouds got closer, we went for a walk on the 10 acres.

Although a lot of the balsam root has dried out and collapsed out onto the ground in a radial formation, there were a few here and there under the trees that surprisingly had some green left on their leaves. On top of the big rock that's next to the old skid trail was some pieces of egg shell, that I had to tell Rowdy not to eat. They were old looking, and probably some predators meal from early summer.

More ponderosas have gone orange, and a couple more have fallen over. August so far has been uncommonly cooler and wetter, which is a welcome relief from other years when we'd be fretting over possible forest fires. There has been some thunder and lightning, but the storms have been wet, not dry.

After the hike I got to work in the greenhouse, pulling up all but one of the tomato plants, and harvesting the last of the fruit. We only had two zucchini to harvest, although by the time I found them under the leaves they were huge. The cucumber plant just couldn't compete with all the big squash plants; they flowered, but didn't get beyond that. I removed the squash and cucumbers last week, and will have to rethink how many and where I plant them next year.

Cooler weather is forecast for the next several days, but with Fair week coming up, it could get hot again. Traditionally Fair week is a warm one.

Guild of Natural Science Illustrators Annual Exhibit

My Corel Painter 12 painting Parade Ground was chosen for the exhibit, that will be at the University of Colorado Campus - Boulder, and the University of Colorado Museum of Natural History. The exhibit started April 19 and will continue through September 25, 2014.

Merriam's turkeys, Meleagris gallopavo merriami

Spring on the Mountain

As our reward for the snow, rain, ice mess and inconvenience of late Winter, early Spring, we've seen an abundance of wildflowers on the hillsides, especially balsam root and arnica. The balsam root is fading now, but at its height it a couple of weeks ago, it was blanketed in large rafts across the open, grassy areas. We normally have a lot of arnica plants under the trees, but this year there were many in bloom.

Paintbrush, lupine and balsam root.

Paintbrush, lupine and balsam root.

Bees have been busy around the mountain ash trees that are in heavy bloom, especially the larger tree. With so many flower clusters, their scent is very noticeable, too. The berries attracted a lot of mountain bluebirds last year; perhaps they'll show up again.

Making a change

Because Microsoft was leaving Windows XP behind, and my Dell desktop was eight years old and maxed out on memory I went shopping for the next, big thing. I looked at another Dell, but couldn't find any enthusiasm for them or Windows, so I went to Apple. Taking the plunge back to Mac, I went for a Mac Mini.

When I was working at the U of MIami School of Medicine, I was in on the start of computers in art, and everything else.  We used both Mac and PCs, because our clients did - you just switched back and forth. My next employer didn't like Apple, so it was PCs for a time. In the early days, Apple lagged behind in animation and then 3D applications, so PC was the place to be for those functions.

Going from full time employee to consultant with that employer, I stuck with a PC when I bought my own equipment.  This latest transition has had its learning curve, and a hiccup with internet connection - solved step-by-step, and nicely by the folks at Apple. For the most part, I just have to remember different key sequences and how the places for other functions exist in mirrored locations. This corner on the PC, that for Mac. My laptop has been upgraded to Windows 8.1, so I still have a foot in both camps.

Most important part, do Photoshop and Painter work the same - they do.

FON XIII Jury Award

An additional honor for my Buffalo Ford painting, a Jury Award for the Focus on Nature XIII show. I'm very excited to be included in such talented company.

FON XIII poster

In addition to being chosen for the exhibit, my painting Buffalo Ford, was selected as the artwork for the museum lobby poster.

FON XIII - Buffalo Ford

I'm honored that my Buffalo Ford painting was chosen to be the artwork for the museum lobby poster.

The other piece chosen for this show was Steller's Jays.


Another Cold Snap

-15 yesterday morning at 7, this morning-4 and snowing. I did this journal page last week when we got our fresh batch of snow that covered up the ice.


End of Our Dry Spell

Most of January has been warm and dry. Last night we got from 6 to 8 inches of wet, heavy snow, and it looks like winter again. Howard is trying to leave again today for a business trip to WA, and so far he's had to plow out our driveway twice this morning. It's coming up on noon now, and it's seemed to have stopped falling.

For Jessie, this type of snow is literally a "pain in the butt", since it forms snow and ice balls on the hair of the backs of her legs. She does like the snow though, especially rolling on it and scratching her back and making dog snow angels.

Last Week

was a sad one for us. We made the hard decision to euthanize Jem on Tuesday, the seventh. Because of the pain in his mouth, he had gone from his relaxed, gentle self, to scared and suspicious; his only comfort in his magenta-colored bed close to the wood stove. It was very difficult to let him go.

His ashes are in a little paw-print-covered tin box that we'll bury on the North side of the house, where we can see him from the office windows. The same windows where he'd watch the birds, squirrels and chipmunks that gather in and around the rock wall and bird feeder.

On Thursday Rowdy dog went in to have his teeth cleaned. When Jem was doing his chemotherapy, Hans would have to sedate him a bit before starting the I.V. because he was "wiggly". His reaction to that was to run upstairs for treats as soon as we got home. Rowdy's reaction to being drugged was to stand very still. I'm sure for him it was unnerving to feel vulnerable, and not in total control of his faculties.

2014 - Glad to be back in even numbers again.

It's been a trying last week of 2013, with our finding out that Jem has had a recurrence of cancer, this time squamous cell carcinoma in his mouth. We'd hoped it was just a couple of bad teeth when we had them extracted last Thursday, but no, and this kind of cancer is aggressive. Since he's been through so much already - his 6 week walk-about in 2010, and two years of lymphoma chemotherapy, he won't be treated for this.

He's been in quite a bit of pain, enough that he became scared of almost all aspects of eating. Whoever or whatever was around when he was eating he assumed were causing his distress, me, Tippy cat, certain bowls, food site. He did come up on our bed on Saturday a.m., but after that he's stayed in the vicinity of the wood stove. Today he's had two servings of chicken baby food and clam juice, and two petting and scratching sessions, but he couldn't quite make himself come upstairs.

I've been at this crossroads before -

Changing the subject, I've had four pieces selected for two shows, the FON (Focus on Nature) XIII show at the New York State Museum, and the Arts in Harmony show in Elk River, Minnesota. I'm waiting to hear the jury results for the Wings and Water show at the River Arts Center in Prairie du Sac, WI. I also need to decide on pieces to present to the jury for the GNSI annual exhibit that will be in Boulder this year.

Cabin Fever?

It's been quite cold for the last week, below zero at night and not much above that during the day. Howard made sure we had enough wood at the house before he left on his Midwest trip, so the house has been warm. On Thursday when I went into Hamilton to get the mail, it had made it up to 10 degrees, today it was 1, with a faint dusting of snow.

When I got home from town today, the dogs were definitely campaigning for me to take them on a walk. Sorry, Rowdy and Jessie, you're on your own! It's too cold for me, and too cold for them for anything longer than a few minutes. Also, because of hauling wood, etc., my sciatica is sending zings down my legs. The second time I filled up the wood box, its tires were just squeaking along, turning ever so slowly on the skiff of snow, and I had to grunt and pull hard to get it back to the side door of the garage.

The dogs don't have the distraction/relaxation of art, but I've been able to get some new pieces done during this chill-down. I also found out this a.m. that I had Turkeys in the Fall Sun, and Wolves in the Willows accepted to an art show in Elk River, MN.

Tomorrow's forecast is for the mid-teens during the day, so a much better day for taking the dogs for a hike.

Sad Progression

I took this picture of a whitetail doe next to the house, a little over a year ago. At that time, I thought the bulge on the right side of her face, was her cud.


Over the months I've seen her several times, and finally realized that this was either an abscess or tumor. Now what I believe is a tumor has spread along her lower jaw, up to under her eye. When I saw her a month or so ago at the deer block, she was flicking her tongue out and around, showing perhaps some discomfort, which I haven't seen again. It's very difficult to see this progress, but there is little I can do. She has survived for a year this way; no way to know how long she'll continue. The weather is in her favor, we've had very little snow so far.